NAIJA BIG GISTS
BLOG OWNED BY Shutdown Brown: -
Latest Gists In Town
Loading...

Monday, 30 March 2015

The biggest mistake of my life.

My name is Fred, my life was on a gradual but steady ride to success. But what is success? To me I think success is relative, depending strongly on ones opinion and standard. I hoped for a life that I would live and maximize my God given talents and have a beloved family, raising them in the way of the Lord. Very typical among young aspiring men… Here is my story and I want you all to learn from it.
I am a fashion designer, very creative one as a matter of fact. I was at my prime, having participated in several runways and my brand being sort after by few known personalities. This was a breakthrough for me, after years of toiling, mending and amending apparels for neighbors and passer byes. Everything changed for good the moment I rededicated my life to my faith and took active duty in my place of worship as an usher.
As every young man would, I had a beautiful lady, her name was Tope. She was into events management and at the same time was engaged in part time studies at the University. She was from a humble home and most times out of the little I earned, I would make provisions for her immediate needs. She was a remarkable home maker, very neat and a good cook. I was rest assured I would marry her, as soon as I was able to elevate myself to the next level of my vocation. Everything was taking shape.
On a very faithful day in church, there was a lady coming for the first time. I helped her secure a seat as an usher would. At first contact, I caught her eyes gazing at me, like she knew me somehow or she mistook me for someone else, I ignored it and faced my duty. It became constant, every time I took a peep I noticed her eyes fixed on me. She was very beautiful, and looked very sophisticated. Her choice of clothing was posh and upmarket and her body gestures spoke of elegance. She looked late 30’s there about. I smelt trouble from a far and I didn’t want to get myself entagled to it. I made sure I went out of sight immediately after the service to avoid any confrontation.
Tope was unable to attend service with me every sunday because of her part time studies. We get to see weekdays at my workshop, where she brings me breakfast, lunch and sometimes dinner. On few occasions she spends the night with me at my place (We stopped having sex after I rededicated my life.) Tope was a very modest lady, and humble too. She wasn’t the fashion type but contributed largely to my work with her sketches, she could draw just about anything. She was an inspiration and a pillar that held me.
The following sunday, as I stood in church, I perceived a familiar fragrance coming from behind. Before I could process the likely host I heard. “Good morning brother.” My mind went straight to the lady I saw last week, but it was quite early. The only way to find out was to turn around and respond to the greeting, which I did. “Good morning sister, you are blessed, welcome to today’s service. Let me help you to your seat.” Before I could make the move she said. “My name is Angela and what is your name?” I said “My name is Fred and let me take you to your seat.” I led her to her seat.
I was caught off guard and what I tired to avoid came to my very face. I started looking at it from a different perspective, maybe she meant no harm. As I stood, I took a peep at her and believe me, this time around she was locked on me with a smile. I responded with a nod and she did likewise with her smile still hanging.
After service, I was outside and felt a tap on my shoulder. It was Angela, she said “You look like Dotun, my classmate in primary school, just that he’s a lot darker.” I said. “Interesting, no wonder you have been steering at me.” She then said. “Not entirely, you are a very good looking man.” I blushed and said. “Thank you, but I am not as good looking and elegant as yourself. You are presently the most trendy looking lady in church .” She laughed and said “Thank you, are you into fashion?”
I was so shocked she deduced I was into fashion, I found it very impressive. I said. “Yes, I am into fashion, you must be a very smart woman.” she said. “Nah! I am not that smart. I have always wanted to go into fashion, but since I don’t have the creativity for it, I decided to look as fashionable as I can be. Eventually I would still go into it. Ok dear, till next time” As she left.
I stood there, thinking at every word she said. Every word she uttered seemed to me like a puzzle. I took a deep breath in and headed home. I got home, fixed myself some meal and started thinking. I remembered way back, I had always wanted to settle with a lady who would share my dreams and work together with me in building a renowned fashion brand that will stand the test of time. At that point, I was beginning to cook up some figments in my head regarding Angela. But as I looked at Tope’s picture on my wall, those bubbles in my head started bursting and I felt reassured. I then prepared to leave for my workshop to prepare for the week.
The following sunday in church, was the usual smile exchange, but this time around it became more intensified. It started to feel more like flirting, enjoyable it was, nevertheless I knew I was putting myself in some sort of complication. So I decided to out pace her after the service, to avoid any hitch. All of a sudden, I heard. “Fred!! Wait up will you!” I had no option than to act gentlemanly, I waited. She said. “Nutty boy, you are trying to runaway from me eh?” I said. “Oh no Angela, I had to go finish up some work today.”
She looked at me with a smirk on and said. “Really? Anyway, my birthday is tomorrow, so I am inviting you and some few people in church.”
I said. “Monday? It’s a busy day now.” She then looked persuasive and held me on my hand and said. “Please, do it for me, We could discuss about how we could do fashion together and other things, here’s my address.”
I felt like, oh my God this is happening…. I then said. “Okay, I will make it. what time?” She said. “9am. So you can go back to your work as soon as we are done, thank you, you are a darling.” and she hugged me.
As I got home, I felt so overwhelmed. I began to ask myself, “Could this be God’s way of lifting me up?” I couldn’t give a direct answer to that question. About a month ago, I prayed for an unprecedented boost in my vocation. And for a moment, everything was beginning to fall into place and with Angela coming into the picture it became more plausible . But I was still confused, confused if Angela’s purpose in my life was just business or more to it, marital perhaps…. There was only one way to find out, and that was for me to play along.
The following morning I headed to her place. As I got there, the gateman opened the gate for me and showed me Angela’s flat. I went to her flat and pressed the bell, in no time she was at the door and on sighting me she jumped on me. I didn’t understand the motive behind that, like she missed me so badly. I just embraced her and gave her the present I got for her. “happy birthday Angela.” She said “Oh thank you very much you are so kind. Please have a seat.”
I sat down and asked her “Where is everybody?” She said. “Erm… Actually, there’s nobody but you.” I looked at her with a straight face. “So you lied.” She said “So sorry, dear. I wanted you to come that was why. I feel this strong connection between us.”
I appeared stunned and said. “Oh really. How about your family?” She said.” Well, we will talk all about that when we get where we are going. We’ll talk about me, you and how we can work together.”
I asked her. “Where are we going”. She smiled and said my favorite restaurant not too far from here.”
I appeared more stunned and speechless, I knew that wasn’t normal and driven by anxiety and curiosity I was determined to solve the puzzle before me. She went into her room and came out after some few minutes, she was in a fitted gown, though simple, but the perfect color that matched her skin. She was certainly a lady of taste and fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment